Re: [ga] Board Meeting on .biz, .info, .org contracts advanced by one week

kidsearch wrote:
Wow, like lets hurry it even more, we only have a few years til those
contracts expire.

Well, from my experience on the board, the board's agenda is set by "staff" and not by the board itself.

(In fact "staff" has a history of actively impeding attempts by board members to put things on the agenda. When Andy M-M and I tried to put things onto the agenda there were suddenly new rules about advance notice and other gobbldygook raised in order to prevent our items from being added.)

The lack of control of its own agenda is YAEOHICHNB - Yet Another Example of How ICANN's Board Has No B* [backbone?]

ICANN's board really should hire their own attorney, non JDRP of course, to help 'em stand up to "staff".

(I've also long believed that ICANN board members ought to get a board fee - perhaps $25,000 to $50,000 each per year - to cover the effort required to keep up with all the materials they have to read and understand, but also to make 'em understand that they are in a position of significance and that they are the plenary body that is not only in total control of ICANN, despite the GAC, and ultimately responsible, even in some circumstances in their personal capacities and personal assets. It would have the negative aspect of making 'em no longer "volunteer" directors under the laws that govern director liability.)

		--karl--