Re: [ga] Syria-news.com Hijacked

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Syria-news.com Hijacked
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric,

Hijackings are opportunities for us to better discern
what may be wrong with the domain name system.  In
this particular case (although a hijacking hasn't yet
been proven), it is most likely true that the domain
administrator -- whose primary language is probably
not English -- received a communique in English
regarding a transfer.

As the bulk of the mail received by this particular
domain is assuredly in Arabic, it is quite probable
that any correspondence in English was deemed at first
glance to be spam (as the bulk of the world's spam
seems to be written in English with the US as the
primary point of origin).

It may equally be true that the domain's e-mail spam
filters automatically treated the transfer
notification as spam.  I can attest to the fact that
many of the  domain renewal notices that I receive are
shunted to a spam folder by the filters that I use.

As we move forward into the realm of IDN these
problems will only get worse if proposals like the
DName approach gain traction (see
http://www.icann.org/announcements/proposal-dname-equivalence-mapping-tld-12dec05.pdf
for further details).  If IDN registrants are to
receive communications from registrars in languages
other than their own, the incidence of hijacking will
certainly increase.

We have a responsibility to look at hijack situations
in order to correct improperly formulated DNS policy.
The current Transfers Consensus Policy may indeed
require a review.