Re: [ga] Noosphere

+1

At 17:32 20/05/2006, Richard Henderson wrote:

I took a few months backing off from ICANN and issues of net governance with their preposterous assumptions of control by a centre which is? really? just one arbitrary centre but not necessarily my centre or your centre. Because this linear concept of a top-down administration of the internet misunderstands the human genus and genius.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Millions of desktops ? an expression of a deeper noosphere ? cannot ultimately be constrained by governmental interventions or shadow agencies of a superpower. The imagination of the human mind, in the end, is boundless? boundless at least in physical terms? and the interactions of hundreds of thousands of human minds and hearts creates an evolving network (or more correctly, a network of networks) which is the bottom-up assertion of freedom and power? power let loose in potentially astonishing ways, creative ways, and free of control from patriarchs and the centre.

We grow more and more aware ? scientifically or theologically ? of the multiplicities that emerge and interact? in society, in communities, in the mind? creating or evolving towards a noosphere of the new millennium. One day, each user will have the chance to realise a network emanating from his/her own desktop as an expression of choice and sharing of identity. A multiplicity of universes and lives if you like. We can do it even today.

The Jesuit theologian Teilhard de Chardin spoke of the "ordered complexification" of life and the evolutionary destiny of the human race towards a noosphere ? an existence of mind and consciousness and conscience and thinking awareness ? and this 'seeding' of multiplicities is mirrored in the diversity of the internet (or, rather, internets).

Our human species is near a critical point ? with the potential to destroy itself and negate its own destiny ? and yet also the potential to claim its own genius and intelligence, a sort of carnival of diversity, a celebration of overlapping networks, a great step forward beyond national boundaries and rivalries? an opening out of shared interests and recalcitrant faith?

In this context, ICANN is like a dinosaur? a shadow organisation of a power bloc? claiming for itself an authority and influence which belongs to the human hearts and minds of the whole species as they ceaselessly network, ceaselessly create, ceaselessly dream, ceaselessly love? the human spirit? the evolution of our race? cannot be caged? it is endlessly renewing itself.

Let us call it the "At Large" if you like? the human spirit "at large"? on the run from central control? anarchic at times, feared by those who need to "control", the human race networking and exploring the noosphere of the developing mind. We network because we are human, because it is what we do, because in a multiplicity of multiplicities we re-encounter ourselves.

In the end, every desktop will direct and develop its own universe or multiverses. In the end, the marginalised "At Large" will lay claim to evolving technology and create its own networks and rationales. Will network even between planets or star systems. This "ordered complexification" is happening already. The "At Large" is really the Human Race. It may even become a network of other intelligences too. Multiple intelligences networking and co-existing.

The USG controls ICANN. So? It is inevitable that ICANN itself will be marginalised in the end. The human race will carry out its own coup. It will say: "This desktop is under my own authority. The network begins here?"

Yrs,

Richard Henderson