Re: [ga] this is ICANN's legacy

At 10:51 19/05/2006, Karl Auerbach wrote:
I disagree. The real question, or rather the initial question, is this:
What gives ICANN the right to say who may and who may not try his or her hand at entering the DNS business place?

We do.

We do in making ourselves believe the root server system is a need.

It tuns out that it was an efficient way for the Czar Jon to control his own network. Now the question is:
- is the Internet the ICANN's own network (meaning the US Network as voted by the Congress and accepted by Tunis)? In such a case it can legitimaly decide, or the Congress can.
- is ICANN one of the partners of the International Network intergovernance? In that case it is up to the users to chose its providers. Up to now the need was for ASCII TLDs having a global reach because the Internet was imposed as a single global relational space. This has come to an end with the US demand in Tunis. USA got an US space. China has organised a Chinese space. Many others will do the same. Now there are geolingual spaces to consider. If I want to get emergency help anywhere in the world I need ".sos" to resolve on a local and lingual basis. This means roughly 60 billions TLDs.

This does not mean we want to kill the DNS. But that we want to save it in adapting it to the network of today. Or it will continue to be the main cause of network fragmentation (with e-applications [English inside]). Let be smart for one minute and understand that a distributed multiautoritative system, as the Internet has become, cannot be supported - and is hurt - by a single centralised monoauthoritative solution as ICANN/IANA/RSSAC.

I you suppress the root server system, resolution will be carried at ISP level in using one or several stubs (including the NTIA Internationalised US Internet root file). This will foster competition (ICANN's charter) as customers will chose their ISP because of the accesses they provide. Access is not only to be abble to call. It is to be able to be called (permanent IP address) and to use the other party's name - even if that name does not please some. It should be put an end to the ICANN apartheid. We own our names, no one else.

The result of this appartheid is the development of ML.ML, keywords, alias and probably other namespaces. And the announced end of the DNS in cacophony.
jfc