[ga] Are registrars selling domain name availabilty query results?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Are registrars selling domain name availabilty query results?
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: scrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We've heard the stories before... you go to check the
availability of a really unusual domain name that no
one else on planet Earth would ever think of, and then
discover a day later that some company in a remote
part of the planet has just registered it.

Myth?  Probably not any longer.  The following thread
discusses the issue and implicates registrars and
their partners in the domain monetization industry:

http://forums.dnsstuff.com/tool/post/dnsstuff/vpost?id=943423&trail=15

Further related information can be found at
http://domibot.info/

It seems that everyone knows (except ICANN) that we
are in the midst of a vile plague that has been
spawned by these domain monetizers.  Even Microsoft
Research has produced a tool to deal with "Discovery
and Analysis of Large-Scale, Systematic
Typo-Squatters" (yet another manifestation of the
domain monetization industry) -- see
http://research.microsoft.com/Typo-Patrol.

The GNSO seems to be totally clueless (except for the
registrars/registries who know about these problems
but only care about maximizing their profits).

So how do we wake up the GNSO and ICANN and have them
start investigating these issues?