Re: [ga] Pass through costs

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Hugh Dierker wrote:

Are the registrars not able to raise their rates in response?

There is no legal reason why they can not raise rates.

However, registrars, unlike registries, are in a competitive marketplace in which price is, in the minds of many customers, the major differentiator. So the registrars are going to end up holding to the same customer prices and absorbing the increase themselves.

If you take a look at my blog at http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000239.html you'll see a note in which I calculate that the real cost of performing a registration at the registry level is under $0.02 rather than the $6 going to $7+7% price that ICANN is imposing for .com.

That works out to roughly $5.98 (going to $6.98+) of money that ICANN is taking out of our pockets each time we register a domain name. When multiplied by all the domains in .com that works out to a boatload of money every year.

		--karl--