Re: [ga] no problem with www.nukeisrael.com

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Danny Younger wrote:

Three points:

domain name had expired.  Upon expiration their domain
had been snatched by a domain name monetizer ...

ICANN really should drop the "add grace" period from all of its contracts. I believe that that contractual provision is the root of much of the end-of-registration 5 day gamesmanship that goes on.

Nobody ever asked for "add grace"; the IETF added it to the registration protocol specification merely for symmetry and completeness; and it has proven to be worthless to consumers (because it is not provided by most registrars to consumers) and a vehicle for massive abuse. In addition, the registration traffic generated by these practices requires the registries to bulk-up and spend money on equipment just to support the add-grace/end-of-registration speculators.

that (1)copied their former website ...

That's a violation of copyright law. We often register our materials with the copyright office, which gives us the right to obtain statutory damages should our pages be copied.

... and (2) added large numbers of pornographic links to their former website.

Again, potential copyright violation and also grounds for a defamation claim.

		--karl--