Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs

At 17:01 28/02/2006, Danny Younger wrote:
http://www.icann-news.blogspot.com/

Danny,
I am surprised you do not analyse the ICANN trick here. And what is the "IDN TLD Working Group". Where does it come from? What is its authority? What is its use? What is the relation with the IDN PAC? etc.
Where does that lead to?
Who is interested?
You may want to go and investigate http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/fora.htm, the ICANN IDN archive links:

<http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-homograph/>IDN Spoofing Concerns 3 mails one year ago
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-guidelines/>IDN Guidelines ("active": sleepy? dead?) 22 mails, 6 to 3 month ago
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-tld-comments/>Internationalized TLDs ("active": sleepy. dead?) - the ICANN's future: 8 mails during the same period.
<http://forum.icann.org/riodejaneiro/idn-comments/general/index.html>Topic Paper on Standards for IDN Authorization: 7 mails .... 3 years ago!
<http://forum.icann.org/idn1/>Introduction of Internationalized Domain Names: 188 mails ( =D>) ... 3 years ago :-(

I suggest you look at who are the Members of the IDB TLD Working Group and what are their interests.
China has engaged the Multilingual Internet. After the USA for the American Language, CNNIC starts the Chinese Internet. Who next?
If ICANN accepts the Chinese TLDs in the root this is Multilingual Internet. If not this this the Internationalised US Internet balkanisation.
Up to them.
jfc