Re: [ga] Lipstick on a pig doesn't make me want to kiss it, ICANN-VeriSign revised settlement

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Lipstick on a pig doesn't make me want to kiss it, ICANN-VeriSign revised settlement
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:37:29 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, domains-gen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

I coulden't agree with George's remarks more here.  ICANN has indeed
did misread and mischaracterized the public comments on the prior
settlement proposal.  I believe they did so intentionally, as many other
interested stakeholders/users do and have stated as much...

George Kirikos wrote:

> I just submitted my initial comments on the ICANN-VeriSign revised
> settlement, although it takes a while for them to appear at
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/revised-settlement/ . See
> http://www.icann.org/topics/verisign-settlement.htm for the revised
> settlement, and send your own comments to revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Hello,
>
> No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still a pig. My lips
> won't kiss that pig.
>
> The revisions that were made to the proposed ICANN-VeriSign settlement
> were extremely minor, and the staff has, intentionally or
> unintentionally, misread and mischaracterized the public comments on
> the prior settlement proposal.
>
> One of the most misleading lines was in the analysis of public
> comments, where someone (no staffer signed their name to the document,
> to take responsibility for it) summarized the feelings toward price
> increases as "Regarding registrants, there was some expression that
> there might be some negative effects due to the potential price
> increases, but, the majority across constituencies expressed that the
> increase in cost was negligible when compared to the value of a domain
> name registration." Most registrants, who are ultimately paying the
> bills for ICANN, registries, registrars, etc, were solidly against the
> price aspect of the proposed settlement. As I
> mentioned in my prior comments at:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/settlement-comments/msg00000.html
>
> competitive bidding for the .com registry would have brought the
> wholesale cost of .com domains to the $2/domain per year level,
> approximately, a 66%+ reduction in costs. Yet ICANN considers it a
> negotiating victory for consumers when there's no cost reduction at
> all, but instead an average price INCREASE per year of 4.7% (i.e.
> 2/3rds of 7%). In technology-based industries, price REDUCTIONS, due to
> economies of scale, are far more typical, yet ICANN somehow feels price
> increases are desirable. It makes no sense.
>
> The only possible reason one could conclude that price INCREASES are
> the norm would be if the majority of VeriSign's costs are not
> technological. If the majority of VeriSign's costs consist of wining
> and dining ICANN staff at exotic locations around the world, I might
> begin to see your point....
>
> The sale of traffic data provisions is unacceptable. Notice that the
> language specifically permits access to data on "non existent domain
> names" for "promoting the sale of domain names". In other words, if
> example.com is getting a lot of type-in traffic, and is unregistered,
> VeriSign could sell that data, thereby promoting low-cost
> cybersquatting (since a large percentage of those types of names are TM
> infringements, as various independent analysts of SiteFinder concluded.
>
> Instead of monetizing that traffic itself, VeriSign will monetize it
> indirectly. Furthermore, VeriSign will be able to see the traffic to
> [...]

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827