[ga] Allocation Policy and the Alternate/Inclusive Roots

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Allocation Policy and the Alternate/Inclusive Roots
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:15:49 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spotted this remark by John Palmer on CircleID:

"The only valid TLD allocation policy should be First
Come, First Serve (FCFS). Much like the homestead days
in early US history, if you are first to stake a claim
on a piece of land and develop it, you are rewarded
for your labor. Hundreds of thosands of dollars have
been spent by businesses developing their TLD
properties. If ICANN/DoC will not list them in its
root network, these entrepeneurs will build
institutions that will support them, in other words
Inclusive Roots."
http://www.circleid.com/posts/why_i_am_participating_in_the_orsn_project

As we move forward with the proposition of launching
new TLDs, I would think that a policy designed to
avoid namespace collisions might be desirable.