Re: [ga] registration info on domain names

  • To: "M. Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] registration info on domain names
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:19:51 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For some reason this completely erroneous statement was written by a man who full well knows this is not an accurate reflection of how international relations and trade work.

  Each nation is sovereign. therefor within their boundaries their law governs. Most nations choose to benefit from the global community so they conform their laws to international norms. Privacy is no more a thorny issue than is religion or womens rights or the environment.

  The WHOIS data base policy is well within international norms. In fact Japan, France and Germany through their multinational corps had much to do with it, in hope of curbing USA free speech impingments on IP interests.
  Privacy in the USA is higher than anywhere international. ROE v. Wade our landmark abortion rights case is even founded upon it. Note the Hoopla of National eavesdropping in the USA. This is not even a story in most of Europe and certainly not in Africa and Asia.

  However with that said we do not view all matters as something the big brother gov. must do for you. We believe you have some responsibility. Keeping your info private within the Whois is simply a matter of intelligent design.

"M. Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 01:58 13/12/2005, Richard Henderson wrote:
>Individuals right to privacy should be protected.

It is simply that democracy is the respect of the people and of their
vote. The respect of the people and of their vote includes respecting
their laws. If the Internet is American, the US laws apply. If the
Internet pretends to be "global", every country's laws are to be respected.

Otherwise it is an US tirany. I am sure no one wants that: this is
why the current "mono" (only one name space, only one class, only one
ICANN, only one IANA, only one English language, only one IETF, only
one Governance, etc. ) Internet cannot deliver. We have given
ourselves five to ten years to understand what the "multi" Internet implies.

jfc