Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 05:57:00 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric,

As far as I can tell, the only reason that there have
been negotiations has been to secure an adequate
funding stream for ICANN.  This has been a point of
concern to the DOC -- in Amendment 6 to the MOU they
state:  "Develop and implement a financial strategy
that explores options for securing more predictable
and sustainable sources of revenue".

Now that ICANN has a predictable and sustainable
source of revenue, additional revenue generating
contracts aren't required.  New gTLDs could
voluntarily donate funds to compensate for services
rendered (much like the ccTLDs) instead of being
required by contract to make such payments.