Re: [ga] politicisation of the internet

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] politicisation of the internet
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:05:59 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5.  Texas-based InfoCom was the sponsoring
organization of the .iq ccTLD.  The US Government
acted to arrest its chief executive on
terrorist-related charges effectively knocking out
Iraq's namespace for the last three years.  The MOU
calls upon ICANN for the sake of stability to take
over a registry's operations in the event of a
financial failure or other emergency.  It didn't
happen.  Draw your own conclusion as to the effects of
U.S. influence...