Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx, vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:55:03 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This slowness and lack of follow through is reflective of a top down approach to doing what is best for ethnic/cultural and historical subsects. Someone must decide what is right. And then it must be agreed upon, and only then will it obtain the impetus and fervor that is required to achieve the objective.
  So far we have only seen benevolent philosophers champion such concepts, and of course the techies that love the challenge of making it workable.

Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Danny,

Thanks for spotting so many interesting documents.

Actually, MINC have been making a terrible noise about
their work on IDN Arabic tables, while Polish Registry
simply did the job, and published all tables thay have
been considering, from Polish (Latin with 7 diacritical
characters) to almost any alphabet-based language,
including Russian, Greec and Hebrew (in 2003 if I remember).

The reffered letter is 18 months old (July 2004).
One could expect MINC making some progress since then
and publishing some reports.

But I could not find any MINC tables on the IANA website
http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/registered.htm
(actually IANA IDN tables site is extremely difficult
to find, even with Google help !)

Best regards,
Elisabeth Porteneuve