Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man

  • To: kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:52:41 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And that is what civil discourse is all about. I again find that after clarification that I agree to your position and underlying rationale.
  (it does appear to me that corporate shell games, created an anti-competitive scenario on previous "new" tlds)

kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          I'm not advocating anything that has anything to do with the financial aspect. Just want to clarify that. Didn't mean to give anyone that impression and not sure how you reached that conclusion.

  What I am talking about is that we put a limit on the number of tlds one comapny can offer or manage or whatever.

  Of course they have to be financially and technically able to run a tld. There is no question about that.

  What I'd like to see avoided is the abilitry of a handful of companies controlling all the viable tlds.

  To put it as plain as possible. Rules that insure competition among those companies who are financially and technically able to manage a tld benefit users worldwide.

  Leaving it to market forces might allow a very few companies to monopolize the real viable tlds and that would NOT benefit users worldwide.

  Part of ICANN's purpose is to foster competition, so the limits I mentioned are within the scope of that mission.

  Chris McElroy, President,
  Kidsearch Network
  http://www.KidsearchNetwork.org
  http://www.MissingChildrenBlog.com