Re: [ga] Vint: on the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any contra-indications

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, kidsearch wrote:

Another question. There may be a way for users with less technical ability
and smaller finances to start their own tld.

I'm spending a few minutes each day working on the registration system for my .ewe TLD. (It's described at http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000159.html)

The code a combination Apache/CGI written in Python (v2.4) using MySQL; it all runs on Linux (I'm on Fedora Core 4.) At the back end it'll produce a zone file.

The registry code creates some of the world's most ugly web pages. ;-) Function comes before art.

I'll be publishing the code under a BSD or Python type of license, i.e. non-viral.

I've still got got a lot of work to do - I need to figure out the exact cryptographic mechanisms; it may be that the user has to run something like gpg to sign the update requests.

The code is meant for low volume use

Don't expect it to surface until sometime next year.

		--karl--