Re: [ga] On Sufficient Support

  • To: "Hugh Dierker" <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Sufficient Support
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:29:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

exactly right.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hugh Dierker
  To: Danny Younger ; ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 11:52 PM

  This is a totally fake question. The question is; is there a qualified registry that desires to introduce a new top level domain.
  Does it need the same support as .edu or .pro or does it need the same as .uk or .com.  Support was never an issue in the MOU with the DoC. Support is simply a non-issue. If there are ten charitible groups like the Crescent and Red Cross and Peace Corps and WHO that want a dedicated tld they should get it. If there are 14 million Chinese or Catholics that want one they should get them.

  Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    As per the first of the GNSO terms of reference, we
    are to assess "whether there is sufficient support
    within the Internet community to enable the
    introduction of new top level domains".

    I started looking for examples ! of recent sufficient
    support and came across the September 2005 European
    Parliament proposal to introduce a new .kid top level
    domain (TLD) -- see
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/08/eu_kids/

    I also noted that the very first Public Comment
    submitted to the PDP Public Forum endorsed a .child
    namespace -- see Kerry Libberton's comment at
    http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtlds-pdp-comments/msg00000.html