Re: [ga] registration info on domain names

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] registration info on domain names
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:29:15 -0800
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

I agree that going after perpetrators or suspected perpetrators and
using
Whois data as a tool for doing so is prudent.  However, ONLY law
enforcement should have the direct contact information for Domain Name
holders in order to protect the majority of Domain Name registrants from

undue harassment and unnecessary legal costs that would and do incur
to protect their identity and protect themselves from Identity Theft
which
is the single largest and most costly civil/common law type or case
there
is.  As one that has suffered ID theft myself,. I can attest to the cost
as
being horrendous in recovering from such damage ID theft causes.

The whois records can be and our members believe strongly should be,
secured or made only accessible to law enforcement in the event of
a legitimate suspected legal infraction.  And even than only when other
means of determining if such a complaint that has been filed have all
been exhausted.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Times change. I used to be a fervant opposer of information being
> required for registering a domain name. Of course back then the
> requirement was pushed by IP folks so they could locate and sue
> infringers. Well i thought then and still do that it is an invasion of
> privacy. However nowadays the rules are used more to track down
> renegade spammers, kiddy porn freaks, fraudulent scheme jerks and
> terrorists.
>   Oh you can still be an artful dodger, although it is getting
> tougher. And you still should register through a service or proxy.
>
>   But to me that great pendulum which weighs violation of privacy
> versus public good seems to have swung a bit toward the side of
> registration.
>
>   Therefor I suggest any new tld be required to prove a reasonably
> effective manner of identifying registrants. Personally I reccomend
> certifiying Agents for Service of Process as most countries do for
> corporations.

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827