Re: [ga] Vint: on the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any contra-indications

  • To: "Joop Teernstra" <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint: on the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any contra-indications
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:01:14 -0000
  • Cc: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the more TLDs there are, the more competition, and therefore arguably
the better it will be for the actual consumer. On the other hand, I believe
that the more TLDs there are, the more the .com default will have supremacy.

But that's not the point. The point is that as a Scot I should be able to
register to my own .scot registry if I want to (which I do!).

Let the market determine what is viable or what's not viable.

After all, ICANN doesn't own the Net.

The only counter-argument I'd regard as worth considering is whether we
shouldn't try to build some over-arching taxonomy, so that the entire
Internet as we have it (pre-balkanisation) may operate in some structured
way that makes it easier for Joe Punter to navigate.

But I guess the more TLDs we have, the more dependent we'll all become on
various search mechanisms (which we already use anyway).

These New TLDs - there's no serious technical block on them happening... so
what IS the block?

Yrs,

Richard H
www.atlarge.org