Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:51:44 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Techically and mechanically Karl deals with this issue admirably. And Chris is certainly right to ask it. But they beg for a much deeper question to be asked.
  Why should we care that a poor woman own and manage a tld? Better yet; Wouldn't it be a good idea to limit ownership of tlds to those who can afford to run them properly, bond and insure for errors resulting in harm to others, employ and ensure wages to employees, afford to update and keep the latest equipment, employ the experts to assure compliance in law, civil rights, non-discrimination?
  It is a slippery slope when we begin a welfare cybersociety and give a tld to someone simply because they cannot afford it.

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, kidsearch wrote:

> Karl, sorry to be such a pain, but I still don't feel that answers my
> question. What is to keep a few big companies from buying up all the
> good/viable TLDs as soon as the process is available, effectively cutting
> out the "open to everyone" idea?

In a pure auction situation the names would go to those with money.

In an auction modified with a lottery some portion of the names would be
distributed, by random chance, among those who have bought relatively
inexpensive lottery tickets (e.g. $5).

Yes, lotteries can be manipulated - the rich folks can buy lots of tickets
and thus increase their chances, the rich folks can use strawman to hold
those tickets, the rich folks can buy the rights from the winners, etc.

But at least the lottery creates some chance that the big guys won't get
every name.

Besides, if we find that happening we can then adjust to deal with the
concrete situation - like perhaps engaging in a one-time process to grant
a pile of TLDs to non-commercial applicants.

If we try to get a perfect system we will be waiting for new TLDs until
the sun freezes over. We should strive for a system that is adequate, not
one that is perfect.

--karl--

Yahoo! Shopping