[ga] Luxembourg: The ICANN Board View on New TLDs

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Luxembourg: The ICANN Board View on New TLDs
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:16:57 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Excerpts from the transcript:

BRUCE TONKIN:  So being specific about new gTLDs, have
we decided we are going to add new gTLDs?  Is there a
Board decision that says introduce new TLDs?  We have
this concept of sponsored and unsponsored.  Was that
an experiment or was that a policy decision that we're
going to have these two categories moving forward?  I
hear people saying, "Let's come up with a rationale
for why we should introduce new gTLDs".  It's not
clear to me whether that rationale already exists and
you already decided to create new TLDs.

VINT CERF: I can tell you from my point of view,
Bruce, that no decision has been made to open up any
further TLDs.  And so all of the questions that Olof
has in my view are conditioned on assumption that a
new TLD is of interest.  I continue to have a real
concern about the rationale for increasing the number
of TLDs, and so I'd like to get that sorted through as
well.  I think the answer is, the Board is -- I at
least consider the Board to be still divided on the
question of new TLDs and how we should proceed and if
we should proceed to create more of them.  And as
you've heard me say many times, I am not entirely sure
what the rationale is for creating new TLDs,
regardless of the MOU's statement that we shall do so.

http://icann.org/meetings/luxembourg/captioning-pf2-14jul05.htm

I regard it as signficant that the Staff language
proposed for the PDP Terms of Reference included the
phrase "whether there is sufficient support within the
Internet community to enable the
introduction of new top level domains."  If you
believe that such support exists, we need to be able
to express it, and to document it -- otherwise, no new
TLDS.  Some help with documentation of new TLD support
would be appreciated...

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com