[ga] .africa & other regional TLDs

  • To: quaynor@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] .africa & other regional TLDs
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 05:12:02 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Nii,

The GNSO Council has launched a PDP on new TLDs.  One
of the first questions posed in their Terms of
Reference pertains to whether we should entertain the
idea of new TLDs.  With .eu on the verge of accepting
sunrise registrations, and with .asia entering into
negotiations with the Board relating to the proposed
commercial and technical terms, we need to ask whether
we should be making provision for other regional TLD
efforts such as a .africa initiative, or a
.latinamerica, or a .middleeast namespace etc.

Might we ask what your current views are with respect
to the need for, and the potential benefits of, such
domains?  Do we, in fact, have a duty to make such
namespaces a reality so that our prior TLD decisions
don't advantage certain portions of the world to the
ongoing detriment of others?

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com