[ga] Next Steps on Proposed .com Settlement

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Next Steps on Proposed .com Settlement
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:50:48 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg01397.html

On 21 October 2005, ICANN announced proposed
settlement terms between ICANN and VeriSign, including
a proposed new .COM agreement. Since then, ICANN has
been conducting extensive public consultations on the
proposed settlement. At its 24th International Public
Meeting in Vancouver this week, the ICANN Board has
been engaged in consultations with the ICANN community
on this topic, among others.

Today at its Board meeting, ICANN Chairman, Vint Cerf,
announced:

"The Board has listened long and hard this week to all
constituencies with regard to the .COM agreements

"We are deeply grateful to the efforts made by all
constituencies to respond to the Board's invitation to
organize comments on the proposals and to provide,
where possible, concrete suggestions for improving
them.

"We are also very grateful for the time each
constituency spent going over with the Board their
ideas and reactions.

"We ask the staff to accept any further written
comments until December 7 and to produce for the
community a public report summarizing, analyzing and
organizing the feedback provided on the .com and
settlement agreements by December 11.

"We recommend that staff approach VeriSign with the
results of the report on the proposed contract and
settlement. We remind all parties that the Board has
not yet agreed to the terms of the contract and
settlement.

"We also note the existence of a policy development
process on new gTLDs and strongly believe that this
policy development process should be informed by the
results of the comments received on the proposed
contract for .com and settlement with VeriSign."

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs