[ga] A modest proposal --

  • To: aizu@xxxxxxx, vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] A modest proposal --
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:18:42 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Izumi,

On Oct. 29, I sent an email like the one below to
every single certified At-Large organization.  I
received only two return replies (one from Catalan and
one from India) indicating that a contribution might
be forthcoming.

Dear Erick Iriarte Ahon, Jose Ovidio Salgueiro and
members of Alfa-Redi:

ICANN has proposed a new .com registry agreement:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/index-2005.htm

As a certified ICANN At-Large Structure, your
involvement and participation would be appreciated.

Comments on the new agreement should be sent to
settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx by 17 November, 2005.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Best regards,
Danny Younger

It is now one month later, and not one single ALS has
submitted commentary to the settlement-comments list.
Meanwhile, just look at all the comments that
non-affiliated individuals have submitted.  If the
ALAC's organizational construct was actually working,
I wouldn't have any qualms about migrating these
entities into the non-commercial constituency where
they rightly belong... but candidly, the NCUC doesn't
need dead weight in their constituency... they are a
constituency that is actually working hard to get
things done and can point to actual achievements
(including comments submitted to the
settlement-comments list).

What policy formulations have the ALS's come up with?
Where is the extensive archive of their comments over
the course of the last three years?
Where are their websites replete with at-large
information?
Where are their interactive forums and mailing lists
within which ICANN matters are being discussed?

I have no doubt that you recall this paragraph from
the At-Large Study:

"In the discussions of the past few months, we have
found wide support for the proposal to set up an ALSO.
It is widely felt that an ALSO would greatly
facilitate the articulation of wider issues in the
ICANN process and promote sustained involvement, thus
also strengthening the role of the At-Large members
between the elections."

If you want a new model for the ALAC, then go ahead
and create the ALSO with our blessing and support.
Since day one we have been asking for representation.
This is your chance to finally do the right thing and
to act on the basis of "wide support".

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs