Re: [ga] ITU Head Foresees Internet Balkanization

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ITU Head Foresees Internet Balkanization
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:14:25 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "declan@xxxxxxxx" <declan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had the exact same thoughts. As far back as the .biz debates for sure but I think further back with Peter, God rest his soul, and the beginning of the ccTLD debates before during and after the TV and WS and LA fiascos. I think we ran through it just after the MOU was signed giving immediacy to more gTLDs which began the dual phrases of Generic and Global top level domains.
  At any rate, the ITU is way slow.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Yoshio Utsumi is only about three years behind the curve or maybe a bit
more. We predicted this just prior to the MDR ICANN meeting. I
am always amazed how slow thinking and lack of forethought seems
to plague these folks and those whom are held out as so called leaders.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Excerpt:
>
> "The internet could look very different in a few years
> time, with various countries splintering off into
> their own locally managed internets, the head of the
> International Telecommunications Union suggested on
> Friday.
>
> As the World Summit on the Information Society wound
> down in Tunisia, ITU secretary-general Yoshio Utsumi
> said that regionalization has started already and will
> continue, and the internet will become a little bit
> different network.
>
> The internet is developing, Utsumi said at a press
> conference at WSIS in Tunis. It may continue to be the
> current internet or it may go into a very different
> model -- the regional internets communicate with each
> other.
>
> Smiling and speaking in his usual diplomatic manner,
> it was easy to overlook the fact that he seemed to be
> describing a situation not greatly unlike the outcome
> that some US-based commentators have described as the
> nuclear option.
>
> The internet need not be the so-called one internet
> controlled by one center, so regionalization is
> already getting started and I suspect in few years the
> scenery of the internet will be a quite different one,
> Utsumi said."
>
> http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22112005/221/itu-head-foresees-internet-balkanization.html
>

> __________________________________
> http://farechase.yahoo.com

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827