Re: [ga] Congresswoman Bordallo writes to ICANN

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Congresswoman Bordallo writes to ICANN
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:21:40 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

  Who really puts the censorship medium on APNIC?

  I see 100 rationales yet not one rational reason. No one could be so ignorant as to think such measures would protect anyones' IP interests and therefor, I do not buy it.
  I think better to look at the countries in the APNIC area that have a consistent history of censoring (which just happen to be the same countries that have a consistent history if international IP theft).

  This is a perfect test ground to see if ICANN can step up to the plate, regardless of myiad of breaches of social, moral and legal contracts with the world.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  An element of particular interest to my district,Guam,
relates to our inclusion in the Asia-Pacific Network
Information Centre
(APNIC) Regional Internet Registry.

Except for Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern
Mariana Islands, and American Samoa, all other U.S.
jurisdictions are included in the American Registry
for Internet Numbers
(ARIN). This distinction in Regional Internet Registry
membership has presented several technical challenges
for Internet users in Guam.

For instance, Internet users in Guam who wish to
access and download files from a website registered
under ARIN are sometimes
restricted from doing so. Some websites have controls
built around the Regional Internet Registries to guard
against intellectual property rights infractions.

In the case of Internet users in Guam, access is
restricted to some ARIN registered websites. These
restrictions have disrupted Internet commerce and
limited participation of U.S. citizens in Guam in
Internet-based government services.

The Internet provides Guam with a vital link to the
continental United States. The Internet factors
heavily in communication between family members living
on Guam and in the continental United States. The
Internet is also essential for firms on Guam wishing
to conduct business with firms located in the
continental
United States. Furthermore, with the aid of the
Internet, Guam?s citizens can have better and greater
access to the Federal Government.

I have written to ICANN regarding the Regional
Internet Registry issue and the challenges that APNIC
membership has presented
for Internet users in Guam. With the attention and
oversight of the Department of Commerce, I hope this
and other issues affecting protocols for Guam-based
servers and Internet
users can be resolved in a manner favorable to my
constituents.

The continuance of Department of Commerce oversight of
ICANN
management of the Internet presents us the best
opportunity to resolve these issues in a manner
favorable to Guam. Therefore, I support passage of H.
Con. Res. 268.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?position=all&page=H10336&dbname=2005_record