Re: [ga] ICANN Staff Shenanigans

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Staff Shenanigans
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:04:58 -0000
  • Cc: <ross@xxxxxxxx>, "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

May I suggest, Ross, that a coalition against this seetlement agreement is
exactly what you and we and others should be envisaging: I would like to see
a coalition made up of Registrars, other industry participants, the
prospective Internet Users constituency, the ALAC, and also representatives
of ccTLDs who may feel that ICANN's unilateralism is too US-centric and
lacks the orderly process and consultation and bottom-up consensus on which
ICANN is supposed to be based?

May I suggest that Vancouver would be one in a range of good platforms for a
coalition to present its case, and that this and other actions should be
promoted to the media to call into question ICANN's unilateral approach to
its mission: accountable only to the DoC of one country, slanting its
choices and decisions in favour of a specific US company, who has "somehow"
persuaded ICANN to accept for consumers a contract which underwrites annual
price increases, when what was surely needed was an open and transparent
process of bidding designed to secure the lowest possible prices for
consumers, with due time and respect for ICANN's various constituencies to
participate - not a "decision" more or less presented as a fait accomplis.

I suggest that the Vancouver meeting would be an excellent venue for some
"open and transparent" statements, telling ICANN staff exactly what there
role is, as *servants* of the world community (yes, that's the whole world)
and releasing a coalition statement for the world's press which expresses
what is thought of this Verisign 'done deal' and the way it was achieved...

...if, in the end, it is forced through against the best interests of so
many people.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson
www.atlarge.org