RE: [ga] Ang Peng Hwa -- Internet Governance: The US position is globally untenable

  • To: Gene Marsh <gmarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Ang Peng Hwa -- Internet Governance: The US position is globally untenable
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:14:32 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Gene,

The U.S. does seem to have this nasty habit of waging
war or taking "police actions", or whatever you choose
to call it, on a fairly regular basis.  I can rightly
understand the articulated fear on the part of other
nations that the U.S. might render a portion of the
namspace unusable, either though an action that
removes a TLD from the root, or by way of taking the
sponsoring organization out of commission.

I think that we should be addressing these fears with
a concrete proposal for action.

What seems reasonable to me is an international treaty
that would serve to allay such concerns... perhaps one
that declared that no current TLD will ever be removed
from the root.