[ga] DNS Détente

  • To: mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] DNS Détente
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 05:00:23 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike,

I read with interest that proposal that you and Tricia
Drake co-authored at
http://www.circleid.com/posts/internet_governance_countdown_to_tunis/

My question pertains to the point below:

19.  In the case where a Government Contact for the
ccTLD in question sought to veto the recommended
actions of IANA, the GRSSSC would have the ability to
override the Government Contact veto and authorize the
implementation of the original IANA recommendation.

Could you perhaps comment on the sovereignty
implications?  In your view, is it likely that nation
states will agree with the proposition that a
supra-national body (the GRSSSC) may exercise an
authority to override the actions of their own ccTLD's
governmental contact?

Also, I would anticipate that your joint proposal
would be submitted to both the ccNSO and groups such
as CENTR for review... but do these bodies currently
have a mechanism for public intake?

regards,
Danny

http://farechase.yahoo.com