Re: [ga] .vu CCTLD off the air

  • To: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .vu CCTLD off the air
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:49:21 -0700
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy and all former DNSO members and all stakeholders/users,

Given the history of your and Stephanie's remarks here,
it is amazing to me at least that you subscribe to the UN
and/or the ITU taking over for DOC/NTIA and ICANN.
All be it that ICANN and whomever manages .vu whom
is contracted to ICANN and thereby DOC/NTIA, "MAY"
be at fault in part for your inability to resolve "SOME"
.vu domains, I would say that the lessor of two evils
is still DOC/NTIA as this incident seemingly shows.

It also seems obvious that Australia's own links are
not well managed as your own remarks below indicate.
As such, I can only reasonably determine that if anyone
from the Australian internet community is ever involved
in any authoritative position as a part of any UN organization
that you seek or desire to manage the net, would make
things worse and not better.  As such, your arguments
in this direction ring hollow Andy.  Sorry...  :(

Andy Gardner wrote:

>  From what I can ascertain, the Internet link between Australia and
> Vanuatu was down, or feeling poorly.
>
> 3 of the 4 authoritative servers for the vu ccTLD are in Vanuatu. The
> other appears to be in California. I'm guessing that the other one is
> set up as a slave and once the connection was down long enough, the
> slave server curled up it's toes.
>
> Look's like the link is back up, but hopefully the operators of .vu
> do some modifications to their setup so that a link outage doesn't
> kill the whole TLD again.
>
> On Oct 7, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > Andy,
> >
> > This may be a lousy guess, but is it at all possible
> > that you have been impacted by that which is discussed
> > in the following URL:
> >
> > http://news.com.com/Blackout+shows+Nets+fragility/
> > 2100-1038_3-5890424.html?tag=nl
> >
> > For what it's worth, I can't access the URL for
> > registration services: http://www.vunic.vu shown on
> > the IANA pages either.
> >
> > --- Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> Is it just me, or has the entire .vu CCTLD
> >> disappeared from the
> >> Internet?

> > http://mail.yahoo.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827