[ga] Re: Pooling .eu registrations for auction

  • To: "General Assembly of the DNSO" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Pooling .eu registrations for auction
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:06 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alas, I foresee problems here. What if an executive of Pool.com applies for the domain names and puts himself down as the registrant, he can then "lease" the name out to the highest bidder (as has been done by EnCirca with .pro domains) and of course there's no law against changing the nameservers to those of the Pool customer who actually wants the domains. Or alternatively the executive applies as registrant for the domains and simply alters the address and contact details to give a Pool customer control of the domain that way. Either way, once Pool have acquired all their domains through their multiple registrars, who can reasonably stop them passing control to other customers a week or two later. Equally, if they technically "lease" the names to their customers (but allow them full contact and nameserver rights) then they won't actually be re-selling the domains, will they? So I foresee Pool, Snapnames, Enom getting round the EURid rules that way.

Secondly, it sounds as if the registrars will be allowed one domain at a time then back to the back of the queue - once again, this will favour the Registrars who only apply for a very small number of Premium Domains. They will have all their very good domains coming up in the first 10 rounds, whereas the ordinary registrar with 2000 customers will have the Premium names spread out anywhere between Round 1 and Round 2000, but by the time their Premium name applications come round, they will already have been snapped up by short-queue registrars in the early rounds. That is *exactly* the concern I raised to the ICANN meeting in Cape Town. The use by Pool or Enom of maybe 60 -80 'shell' registrars means they can afford to direct all their best names to very short queues spread across their scores of accredited registrars, giving them an obvious advantage over long-established Registrars acting in good faith as a single entity.

Finally, on the issue of re-selling, EURid states in their latest mail to me: "We don't allow reselling". Does this refer to reseller registrars such as all those working through Tucows? Or does it mean that EURid does not allow registrants to re-sell their domains? If Registrants can't resell their domains I simply can't see how EURid will be able to police the clear and established practice of selling and re-selling domains all over the Internet, through Sedo and all the other sites that do this, or at the very least, how they will prevent the "leasing out" of domains, with simple alteration of contact details and nameservers, which anyone is allowed to do. If Registrants *can* resell their domains, then of course, the Pool or Enom executive who nominally obtains the .eu domains in the first place, will then at a later date (1 week later? 1 month later?) sell or auction off the domains to their chosen customers.

I invite EURid and ICANN to consult on this matter, in liaison with the Registrar Constituency.

Thank You,

Richard Henderson