Re: [ga] ICANN Officially Approves .jobs and .travel TLD's

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Officially Approves .jobs and .travel TLD's
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:07:33 -0700
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric,

  You made a very good point, but it will be missed by many..

  Again the real problem is ICANN's TLD selection process, which breads
a bad product.  As the bible says, sew a bad seed, reap a bad crop...

  What is the real justification for .jobs?  Well none really.  But if
by
having such a TLD or rather a sTLD, than regulating registration for
those kinds of businesses can be effected.  Yet as we have already
seen with .pro, enforcement is not there effectively, hence this method
of regulation, ergo process, fails before it even really gets started,
and
than escalates from there onward until enforcement of registration
contracts
and/or agreements has teeth.  Another analogy might be, spare the
rod, spoil the child..  No use of the rod in ICANN's case, whom does
not have the rod, means the child, Registrars/Registries, will be
spoiled
and run amuck...  So we have seen with .pro thus far, and will likely
see with .jobs, .xxx. .asia, .travel, and especially with .mail and
.tel...

Or....

  Can market forces do the regulation of registration management?
Yes.  Will that form of regulation be adequate in the broad sense?
Yes again...  Will such sTLD's have real meaning.  Not likely as
we have seen with .pro.  Hence than, do market forces need
help by providing  regulation and/or legislation, i.e. pre-emptive
laws? Of course. I thought Ralph Nader taught us this with vehicle
safety?

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    So who do you think registered "blow"? Vietnam would not let me
> have sex, did I miss the boat again?

> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,
>
> As expected....
> See:
> http
> //news.com.com/2061-10796_3-5660761.html?part=rss&tag=5660761&subj=news
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/28/1911255&tid=95
> http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-08apr05.htm
>
> "As reported on News.com, ICANN has approved the
> .jobs and .travel domains, and is pending decision on .asia, .mail,
> .tel,
> and .xxx. One has to ask 'Will these new domains actually prove
> useful,
> or is ICANN just avoiding the real issues confronting them in regards
>
> regulating domain registration?'" We've covered both of these domains
> before, but it would seem they are even more-approved now, or at least
>
> the process is important enough to warrant an official announcement
> from ICANN.

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS