Re: [ga] Introducing changes based on a consensus process

  • To: Thomas Barrett - EnCirca <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Introducing changes based on a consensus process
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:24:38 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'icann board address'" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Kathy Smith'" <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'james tierney'" <james.tierney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Thomas Barrett - EnCirca wrote:

>  Jeff,
>
> "sluts" is a surname. "pussy" is an animal. "1800" is a number.

Well one out of three isn't bad.  Yes, 1800 is a number.  "pussy" is
not an animal, and "sluts" is certainly not a surname, by any stretch of
anyone's wildest imagination.  Nice try Thomas, but no cigar... And
oh BTW you left out "pussy"...

>  Until they
> are used in another manner, you cannot make assumptions about how they will
> be used.  So, you can not block their registration simply because they might
> offend or because you deem it too ridiculous for professional use.

Offense is only one aspect of the use of "pussy.pro" or "Sluts.pro"
in the context of the registration contract for .pro.  The fact that
there are no professional "pussy" organizations or credentials for
same, is the much more glaring and relevant pro-blem....

> The simple fact is if a medical doctor, lawyer, etc. wants to register
> "sluts.pro", there is no language from ICANN to prevent them from doing so.

Agreed here.  However I was not saying that ICANN had any such language,
but your registration agreement/contract with ICANN does discriminate
that only professional organizations with proper credentials for such, are
required.  If a doctor whom was a gynecologist was to register
"pussy.pro", which did not BTW, and he/she can show that his/her organization
is a professional "pussy" organization with legitimate credentials indicating
that they/he/she are professionals in a credential organization whom have
specific interest in literally "pussy" than perhaps one could accept such a
registration legitimately.  As I cannot find any such organization regarding
"pussy" professionals or any credentials of same, I would have to say
your argument here is spacious at best, and ludicrous would be much
more realistic.  It may be that a civil case needs to be filed on this
question alone.  I am sure some atty. Generals offices in some US
states would be more than interested is supporting such a civil filing...

> You can argue that no legitimate professional organization would ever use
> such a name, but you could not guarantee there could not possibly be
> legitimate use.
> Just ask Dr. John Sluts (http://home.earthlink.net/~genbooks/ohreport.html).

This is for a person whom happens to have the last name of "Sluts" and
in no way relates to a professional organization or credentialed of same...

> To be clear: the .pro tld is about controlling WHO registers a domain, not
> WHAT meaning the string represents, or HOW they plan to use the domain.

Than your registration agreement/contract needs to reflect that clearly
or in some states you would be considered liable under misleading
business practices act's as are appropriate. Texas is one of those
states BTW.

  Further, I did not elude to WHAT the meaning of any domain name
string was to mean, only that in accordance with your registration
agreement/contract for .pro, "pussy.pro" and "sluts.pro" are not
in keeping with your registration agreement nor in keeping with
sTLD's as Richard has pointed out in several of his earlier posts
remarks/comments on this subject area..

> There is nothing in the contracts that would prevent strings that might
> offend, OR prevent use that might offend.  Since there is no violation,
> there is nothing to enforce that will eliminate this issue.  Nor is
> precedent for registrars to play the role of censor for domain name
> registrations and website content.

  sTLD's by design of intent are a form of censor.  Hence your
argument here is also not entirely valid either... If some potential
stakeholder/user is not able to register a domain name in .pro
as he/she is not a credentialed professional, than that is a form
or means of censor...

> If you feel this should be addressed as part of the .pro tld, then it is a
> topic for a task force and concensus policy.

  There is no consensus policy that is legitimate in the ICANN
structure presently...

> Regards,
>
> Tom Barrett
> EnCirca, Inc.