[ga] ALAC: An exercise in doing absolutely nothing

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ALAC: An exercise in doing absolutely nothing
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:07:20 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The scenario:  after extensive deliberations and a rigorous examination of credentials, backgrounds and statements of interest, fifteen selected finalists from all over the planet were appointed by the members of the ICANN Nominating Committee and by the ICANN Board (unanimously in special session) to provide advice to the ICANN Board on issues of concern to users.

Sounds great, doesn't it?  ... the ALAC, a pure 100% top-down approach.

The results:  let's just see how this well-considered ICANN board-designed approach has fared... exactly how many domain name and user issues have been reviewed by this esteemed group of advisors during the last month?

If you guessed "none", you would be correct.  hmmmm, it must be that we users just don't have any concerns or issues...

...but let's not be totally negative, I see that the hard-working ICANN Staff has arranged a Latin America/Caribbean At-Large Users Workshop on Sunday, 3 April from 14:00 ? 17:00.  At this event we users can discuss matters such as "the user community?s role in the governing of the Internet".

Thrilling....  we really need a three-hour workshop to tell us that we have no role whatsoever within ICANN, and that our input has been totally usurped by a top-down Committee that does absolutely nothing.