Re: [ga] Re: A note to Vittorio

vb,

I would like to disagree with the point below: By saying you can't have meaningful flat structure, you mean organizations like IETF couldn't have existed.

I think it *can* be done. What you need is start to thinking about the structure, what makes you an ALAC member and more importantly, whats makes you not (as reference, see RFC 3683).

The idea is a bring constructive people into the debate the consensus debate while minimizing the destructive elements. In that effort, 'reputation' is a great tool; Even without formal process, we already see this in action - at least I witness some members of the list being regularly ignored.

And don't be concern about flood of people swarm to join ALAC. There wouldn't be, at least not 200,000 people we see back in 2000 unless of cos we go back to the mode of trying to elect ICANN board member via that method. A NomCom like process would make election moot and hence people who truely participate in ALAC are really those maintain their good reputation, cares about ICANN and willing to give their time to give constructive feedback to ICANN.

Which gets me to the other point I made in last ICANN meeting: Don't just go get members - tell me whats the process to make formal contributions to ICANN. I dont see that happening right now (In fact, I see the public consultation work done directly at ICANN better avenue).

ps: I also notice you said ALAC is about internationalizing ICANN and not about individuals. If so, you might have less trouble if you rename ALAC more appropriate - ICANN regional charter or something but dont claim to speak for individual otherwise.

-James Seng