[ga] Re: [CRIS Info] Overview article on WSIS Prepcom

  • To: Sally Burch - ALAI <sburch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [CRIS Info] Overview article on WSIS Prepcom
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:07:59 -0800
  • Cc: crisinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, WGIG <wgig@xxxxxxx>, "Alejandro Pisanty, DGSCA y FQ, UNAM" <apisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN-ALAC <alac-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, wsis <alt.wsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sally and all,

  Thank you Sally for sharing this with all of us. It was indeed
very reveling and disturbing as well.

 In particular in  your article
http://www.alainet.org/active/show_news.phtml?news_id=7704
Regarding the so called "Grounding" of the WGIG IG
was particularly disturbing as the WGIG is not a individual
spakeholder/user membership organization and has no
forum by which individual stakeholders/users can participate
in an open and transparent mannor and/or fashion.
Hence the below quote [ below ] from your article does
not accurately reflect what the WGIG is purporting to be
all about.  Our members find such to be quite disturbing and
troubling. However as many UN based organizations have
been behaving very badly of late and are under some serious
earned scrutiny, such a lack in ethical behavior seems indicative
and reflected in the WGIG as well.
To Wit:
"?The WGIG should ground its work within a human rights and
development framework. The rights to freedom of expression
  and privacy are of special importance in this context as is the
need for a greater emphasis on the principles of openness and
  transparency."

  In addition the last two paragraphs of your article were also
very disturbing and troubling to our members and many others
whom have contacted our members recently.  We hope that
the WGIG will not continue to take this attitude in the very
near future as it represents a form of oppression and lack
of openness and transparency that is repugnant, repressive,
and deplorable.  The summit organizers should be
ashamed..

Sally Burch - ALAI wrote:

> All,I have written an overview piece on the WSIS Prepcom, held Feb 17-
> 25 in Geneva, in English and
> Spanish:English:http://www.alainet.org/active/show_news.phtml?news_id=7704or
> http://www.crisinfo.org/content/view/full/752Spanish: (version más
> corta)http://www.alainet.org/active/show_news.phtml?news_id=7688or
> http://www.crisinfo.org/content/view/full/751Sally
> Burch - Directora EjecutivaAgencia Latinomericana de Información
> - INTERNET: sburch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:  Casilla 17-12-877,
> Quito-EcuadorTelefono: (593 2) 250 5074 / 222 1570  / 252 8716Fax:
> (593 2) 250 5073    URL:

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS