Re: [ga] The ICANN Contingency Plan

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The ICANN Contingency Plan
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 03:59:28 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

 As most of the folks for the "ENAC" are appointed, it cannot be a very
good
plan on that basis alone..  Most or these appointed members of "ENAC"
would be political appointees as has been ICANN's habit.  Therefore
the effectiveness of such a group/committee would be circumspect at
best.

Danny Younger wrote:

>    The current ICANN Contingency Plan calls for a 33-person group to
> ensure continuity of operations in the event that ICANN incurs a
> severe disruption of operations, or the threat thereof, by reason of
> its bankruptcy, corporate dissolution, a natural disaster, or other
> financial, physical or operational event.
>
> Is this a sufficient or an insufficient amount of personnel for
> disaster management?  Are we satisfied with the form that this
> Contingency Plan is taking, or should we ask a firm like Gartner to
> assist in the formulation of a disaster recovery plan? In view of the
> fact that ICANN Staff did such a lousy job on the preparation of the
> Strategic Plan, I am worried that the Contingency Plan might equally
> be poorly drafted.  Is anyone attending to escrow considerations?
> There have been presentations made to the GAC, to ARIN, and to CENTR
> on this issue, but I don't believe it has yet been addressed in the
> GNSO.  Perhaps we should begin to gather our thoughts on this topic.
>
> The Executive Stability Committee (ExStabCom) will include an
> appointed "eminent person", the Chair of SESAC, the ICANN CFO, and an
> independent auditor.
>
> The Emergency Names and Addressing Committee (ENAC) will consist of:
>
> ? 1 GAC representative member from each region,
>
> ? 1 appointed representative of each GNSO constituency,
>
> ? 1 appointed ALAC representative from each region,
>
> ? 2 appointed ASO representatives,
>
> ? 1 appointed ccNSO representative from each region,
>
> ? 1 root-server operator,
>
> ? 1 representative from ICANN?s Technical Liaison Group,
>
> ? SSAC Chair and 2 SSAC members,
>
> ? 1 representative from Internet Architecture Board.
>
> The ENAC is to assist ExStabCom to execute ICANN?s technical and
> operational functions and to assist the ExStabCom to form a
> replacement/reformed entity.
>
> Sources for the above information:
> http://www.centr.org/docs/2004/11/centr-ga24-verhoef-icanncontingency.pdf
> and