Re: [ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recognition as an RIR

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recognition as an RIR
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:54:48 -0800
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Nichols <Bnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all,

  ICANN and the RIR's are indeed under the direction of DOC/NTIA
and have been sense 1999, despite any ramblings or statements to
the contrary.

  President Bush and his administration enjoys the admiration and
strong of  the UK's government and most of it's leaders, including
the PM, Mr. Blair, as well as the reaffirmed support of the majority
of the american public.

  No one that I know of is saying that Africa, including myself is
saying at that it's nations should not be able to participate at every
level in the functions and development of the Internet. And this
would include AfriNIC.  However as many of these African
nations are engaged in proliferating UCE spam and many other
organized international criminal activities and in some, harbors
as well as encourages terrorist activities openly.  As such,
AFriNIC is not ready for the role it was just given and stakeholders/users
all over the globe will suffer, and perhaps very greatly for this
error in judgment as many small ecommerce businesses have
already suffered from such disruptive and criminal activities emanating
from these African countries and ever increasing levels and
intensity.

  It is my and our members belief with some EU country support
including the UK, ISPs' will be blocking all AfriNIC IP's...

Richard Henderson wrote:
"You are either part of the solution or part of the problem"...

> The phrase reminds me of George Bush's language before the Iraq invasion...
> "You are either with us or against us"...
>
> Neo-nazi... New American Century... and yes, Islamic Fundamentalists when
> they embark on terrorism...
>
> They share a dialectic which depends on polarisation and dogmatism and
> 'closed minds' to further their goals.
>
> There is another way, of course, that involves more discourse and sharing of
> a range of ideas. The Internet is an excellent tool to promote a more
> diverse range of ideas and solutions, and to encourage 'openness'. All the
> more reason why its governance and ethos should remain 'open' and
> transparent and responsive to individuals and local communities.
>
> Africa deserves every opportunity to participate at every level in the
> functions and development of the Internet. The Internet is a worldwide
> resource which has passed way beyond the domain of a few academics and the
> military. It is now a resource which belongs to the whole world.
>
> It is not just the property of the Department of Commerce in the USA.
>
> Richard Henderson

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS