Re: [ga] At-Large Resolution

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] At-Large Resolution
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:44:14 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Danny, where have you been?!  ICANN has always sense it's conception
been a "Fairy Tail"...  I thought you were well aware of this...  I
guess I
was mistaken...

  The alternitives as you put it are also not very good either.  They
mainly
consist of DOC/NTIA itself, which we all know is not workable for a
number of already well stated reasons, the FCC or FTC which again would
also not work for many of the same reasons DOC/NTIA would not, the
WTO, which I can't honestly imagine any american would except, the
ALSC which is a farce and wholly owned by ICANN anyway, or some
other UN organization which would not be well excepted in many
quarters..

-

Danny Younger wrote:

>   Having read Karl Auerbach's "ICANN and Its Fairy Tale", I have taken
> the liberty of re-drafting his eloquent comments as a Resolution to be
> submitted through the WSIS process:
>
> We recognize ICANN as an industrial cartel in a mutual assistance pact
> with the intellectual property industry that has as its goal the
> management of the domain name industry by defining the products
> offered by that industry, setting prices of those products, and
> selecting who may and who may not participate in that industry.
>
> We do not recognize ICANN as responsible for ensuring the stable and
> secure operation of the Internet?s unique identifier systems as ICANN
> does nothing about IP addresses, as ICANN engages in no DNS technical
> matters, as ICANN does nothing about DNS security and as ICANN has no
> role in service standards or over DNS root operations which are
> operated by an entirely independent group over which ICANN has no
> authority. IANA, not ICANN, records internet protocol numbers, and the
> IETF instructs IANA what to write.
>
> We believe that ICANN's abandonment of its role of technical oversight
> and its assumption of the role of business regulator has weakened the
> internet and made the internet more vulnerable to failure and attack.
>
> We therefore resolve to recognize the comment of the U.S. Department
> of Commerce that ?if ICANN does not make significant progress on the
> transition tasks, alternatives will be identified and considered?, and
> we call upon all parties to initiate such a search for alternatives.

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827