Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:04:31 -0000
  • Cc: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not too fussed about the buxomy beauties (there are enough of those
around) I would prefer us to remember that the Internet and DNS do not exist
for the sake of giving registrars or Pool.com an income of any kind.

The Internet exists so that millions of ordinary users can communicate,
trade, build sites, promote their charitable causes (including the worthy
Kirikos Fund) and therefore:

The supply of domain names should be Simple, Clear, and Easy to Use.

A registry administers the supply of domain names already. I can't see for
the life of me why it can't just sell deleting domains as well. If the
previous registrant doesn't want the domain name any longer, what's the
problem?

If I want to buy the domain
www.62984673s9f64k£he3_hekjdykirikosforpresidentoficannblablazero.com then
it's fine for the Registry to distribute it for me.

If I want to buy a deleting domain www.money.com because the previous
registrant went bankrupt, surely it's fine for the Registry to distribute
THAT domain for me too. And if I cut out the middle man and some obscure
shell-registrar who I have no knowledge of then all well and good.

Keep it Simple Stupid, I think.

These domains are deleting.
These domains are therefore up for auction.
I bid the highest for these domains.
Therefore I get them.

That system seems to work.

You and I both know that if you try to register a deleting domain manually,
the chances of getting that domain are minimal and probably 5000-1. Before
you know it, Buy Domains or someone else has got the name half a second
after it dropped, via some obscure shell registrar.

You call that system good?

I'd prefer one simple clearcut market where if I want a certain domain I can
bid my best price for it, and nothing is left to a lottery.

Yrs,

Richard H