Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!

  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!
  • From: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:17:38 -0500
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, discuss-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George Kirikos wrote:

Hello,

"I told you so" comes to mind -- VeriSign's greed has no bound, and
isn't limited to WLS.

George, remember the movie "Wall Street" when Douglas' character Gordon Gekko maes the pronouncement that "greed is good"? Well, I guess my only question is, why shouldn't it be?

For those who've not had time to read through the
VeriSign dot-net application:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/net-rfp/applications/verisign.htm

buried near the end one can find the following:

"VeriSign is now working with Bruce Tonkin, one of the Registrar
Constituency's representatives to the GNSO Council, to facilitate the
process of developing a solution for an industry-wide com/net deleted
names handling process, which facilitates an open auction during the
pending delete period.

What is so terrible about this? I think this will serve to make coveted memorable domains even more dear. After all, nobody is born into this world with any guarantees.

To think that any self-concerned business entity ought simply to allow for the sale of something at less than could be gotten for it, is a little too red for my tastes, even if I am a Canadian.

In January 2005, VeriSign will begin surveying end users in the
Internet community to get input on various types of auction house
solutions and price sensitivity for deleted name auctions.

Sky's the limit, far as I'm concerned. Yeehaw!

Nevertheless, I would like to see stringent safeguards built into the system to ensure against accidental or malicious deletions etc., along with policy mechanisms to quickly and easily expedite repatriations in case(s) of mistakes or criminal actvity

VeriSign
anticipates providing the feedback received from end users, along with
a revised deleted names proposed auction model in February 2005. The
proposed model will be further vetted with registrars and other
stakeholders to ensure that it adequately addresses the needs of
registrars, registrants, and other impacted parties."

If only ICANN were to proceed in like manner... :-)

I wonder if they'll be using the same survey company that showed "everyone loved SiteFinder"??

George, just because you didn't happen to find it helpful does not mean that it wasn't. Do you have any hard statistical evidence to the contrary insofar as SiteFinder was concerned?

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

--
This email includes a valid digital signature which positively distinguishes the sender and serves to ensure that the message has not been altered since it was sent. For more information on having your identity validated for use in your own Personal Certificate visit the THAWTE Web of Trust (WOT): https://www.thawte.com/wot/index.html

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
begin:vcard
fn:Sotiris Sotiropoulos
n:Sotiropoulos;Sotiris
email;internet:sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx