Re: [ga] Spammers' Upend DNS

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Spammers' Upend DNS
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:10:53 -0800
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Spam in an of itself is not and ICANN problem to solve alone, it
is every netcitizens and/or organization to address and "Help"
to solve.

  In relation to the DNS which is within ICANN purview, as this
report suggests, than spam from or as a result of the DNS
is an ICANN problem directly, and can be addressed accordingly,
but thus far is not being adequately addressed, again as this report
indicates.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Now Jeff correct me where I am wrong here;
>
> Spam was not a problem at, before or during ICANNs formulation.
> Spam was not considered within ICANNs initial contract with US DoC.
> Initial and subsequent "Amendments" to ICANNs formation documents do
> not address spam.
> Nowhere is there directly stated a mandate for ICANN to deal with
> spam.
> The US has specific antispamming laws to be enforced by gov. agencies
> and courts.
> All prgoressive states have legislated against spam.
> Windows, Yahoo, Netscape, IE, etc. etc, all have anti-spam programs.
>
> How is spam an ICANN problem? Other than they contract with the
> largest single source of spam originators.
>
> Eric
>
> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,
>
> "eWeek reports on the latest trick of spammers: getting around
> DNS-based lookups. By registering a domain *after* the spam
> goes out advertising it, they can get around blacklists.
> However, that causes all sorts of problems for ISPs and anti-spam
> services. Paul Judge, CTO at Ciphertrust, says "Even in large
> enterprises, it's becoming very common to see a large spam load
> cripple
> the DNS infrastructure.""

> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/grads/j/Paul.Judge/
>

> Well I seem to recall we discussed this very possibility some time
> ago now. It seems to have come to pass... Did ICANN yet
> again drop the ball? Seems so...
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeffrey A. Williams
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
>
> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
> Pierre Abelard
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
> E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Registered Email addr with the USPS
> Contact Number: 214-244-4827

    Pierre Abelard