Re: [ga] .net announcement

  • To: gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .net announcement
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:25:58 -0700
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "ICANN Gen. Council" <general-counsel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Secretariat and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  I am more than a little bit concerned about the following in this
announcement:

"ICANN is also seeking an independent third party professional firm,
(which will most likely be a well regarded global accountancy
 firm) to manage the .NET "Successor" Registry Operator Process.
ICANN believes that this will best insure a fair and independent
 process and will avoid any perceptions of possible bias or
impropriety on the part of ICANN. An announcement regarding
the  identity of the third-party firm will follow shortly."

  If ICANN is doing the seeking for this third party, how is it
honestly possible that such a third party would be non-bias?
Shouldn't this be a task best suited for DOC/NTIA to do
directly without ICANN's BoD or staff's before knowledge
or input? Or is this another of many such announcements
being used to sooth/lul the stakeholders/users, especially
those that have Domains registered in .NET name space,
into believing and trusting the already highly questionable
ICANN BoD and staff?  Isn't it very likely or at least
very possible that yet another "Musical ICANN Chairs"
will again emerge as the likely candidates as it did with
.US, .EDU and .ORG?
.

GNSO SECRETARIAT wrote:

> [To: council[at]gnso.icann.org; ga[at]gnso.icann.org]
> [To: liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
>
> Please find the correct link for the .net announcement :
>
> Update: ICANN Preparing .NET Redelegation RFP:
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-30sep04.htm
>
> GNSO Secretariat

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx