Re: [ga] SSAC releases Wildcards report

George Kirikos wrote:

Hello,

The SiteFinder report is out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39443-2004Jul9.html
http://www.icann.org/committees/security/ssac-report-09jul04.pdf

Thankfully, ICANN's SSAC is against it.

And since when is that likely to make a difference in what Versign does? It may server to bolster ICANN's legal case, but if you read the comments made by Verisign, it's the same rhetoric claiming that SSAC hasn't provided facts or stats to back up their case and the members of the committee are stacked with predefined conclusions.

Of course, we have to also keep in mind that Verisign's stats are flawed as well since they took them from those who were "forced" to their site and then claimed those people wanted to use their service. Now that's a crock of horse hockey, but the rhetoric is what the public sees. At least the media states that people in technical circles were up in arms.

No good can come from SiteFinder other than to line the pockets of Verisign to the detriment of everyone else. The SSAC report points this out and Verisign just doesn't like it. I would like to think it will make a difference, but I doubt it since the courts are not savvy enough to understand the consequences.

--
Leah G.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/atlargeorg