[ga] Re: [Politech] An open letter to PFIR on "Whois" privacy [priv]

  • To: Declan McCullagh <declan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [Politech] An open letter to PFIR on "Whois" privacy [priv]
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:44:02 -0700
  • Cc: politech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Cross <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lauren@xxxxxxxx, neumann@xxxxxxxx, dave@xxxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Declan, Tom, and all,

  Mr. Nueman has as far back as I can recall at the moment has never
been a advocate of privacy.  Dave Farber has waffled on the issue
of privacy in whois data as well for a number of years.  PFIR seems
to now be willing to accept a two tier approach regarding registrants
privacy in whois data.  That in our members and my own opinion is
a step in the wrong direction as well as a dangerous direction as it
leaves the stakeholder/registrant and possibly the domain sites
clients/users exposed to a number of dangers at the expense of
the various desires/demands of large IP interests in the ICANN
GNSO IP constituency as well as the business constituency.

  One might also like to take a look at the article and especially
the comments to:  http://www.circleid.com/article/614_0_1_0_C/