Re: [ga] Spamming

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

Untrue.

ICANN pretends to share in the technical govenance of the Internet. As such it operates the IANA functions. IANA registers the parameters of the Internet technology - that IETF or other specify. One of these parameters is the "MX" DNS RR. It therefore falls into the responsbility of Vint Cerf or/and John Klensin to make the ICANN BoD to solve the spam issue in entering a new RR (I suggest "NX") to indicate the IP address of the no-spam mail server related to a domain name. The same way as they adopted the funny "XN" for IDNA.

How ridiculous. ICANN should not usurp the role of the IETF and IESG in developing technical protocols, just because they happen to maintain the database of protocol assignments. As I have heard many times recently, IANA "operates the spreadsheet" rather than devising the numbers that go in it.

What is also ridiculous is the idea that some kind of second MX designed for "no spam" would have any appreciable impact on the problem.

kim