Re: [ga] WSIS workshop announcement

  • To: "Vittorio Bertola" <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] WSIS workshop announcement
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:22:57 -0000
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul Twomey, in his address to the Registrar constituency this afternoon,
also expressed his concern about the case being made for a UN Agency to take
over some of the functions of ICANN - he derided their lack of technical
expertise, and insisted that management at a governmental level would be the
wrong way for the Internet to proceed.

It has to be said - setting aside the cogent arguments for a market-driven
approach to governance - that ICANN's position is substantially undermined
(a) by the fact that it is primarily a US agency, answerable to DoC, giving
the US a primacy which many other countries regard as unnatural in the
context of a world resource; and (b) by the fact that ICANN is clearly
underfunded, and policies like the evaluation and roll-out of New TLDs are
being seriously delayed by lack of staffing and lack of resources.

A UN-backed ITU governance would, at least, not be using staff and financial
shortages as an excuse for holding up the development of the namespace.

The other factor which undermines ICANN's position is the perception of many
that it is opaque in its management methods, unresponsive to criticism,
autocratic at the centre, and fundamentally unaccountable to anyone except
USG (who backs ICANN in its own wider interests).

The governance of the Internet may be driven towards the UN / ITU by ICANN's
own inept record and mismanagement. This would not be perceived as in the
interests of USG, which should therefore be "setting its own house in order"
before calls for a UN agency reach governmental level.

If USG provides the added funding which ICANN badly needs, then ICANN comes
to be perceived more clearly as a state-funded quango working for a single
national paylord. Alternatively, I've no doubt agencies within the US are
already planning to use the cover of "security" to re-organise net
governance, and organise ICANN (as we know it) out of the equation. A
genuine or an 'orchestrated' attack on the system would provide USG with the
pretext it needs to break cover and lay claim to the control of the net.

What we have at present is a bit of a 'Mickey Mouse' quango, operating from
a few offices, underfunded, and not keeping up with its tasks... ITU or an
equivalent version waits in the wings if ICANN cannot set things in order,
and, alas, Paul Twomey's 'staffing re-organisations' will not be enough...
what is needed is culture change and added funding and staff (I know some
people will say, no, limit the mission to a narrow technical role - but I
just think we're in a less simple more interactive world).

Richard Henderson