Re: [ga] BIND Patches Make Bad Situation Worse - ICANN strikes out addressing site Finder..

  • To: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] BIND Patches Make Bad Situation Worse - ICANN strikes out addressing site Finder..
  • From: Don Brown <donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:35:25 -0500
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What would be great is if the inclusive root could thwart this hijack
by V$, so that Admins and software vendors need not get involved.

Someone once (or several times) said make ICANN irrelevant -- that
could start now with making SiteFinder irrelevant.

Just a thought, FWIW . . .

Thursday, October 16, 2003, 9:04:51 PM, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
JW> All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

JW>   Well I figured this would happen.  So it seems the
JW> stability argument from ICANN was more likely a political
JW> struggle with Verisign rather than a stability issue.

JW> Thank god our BindPlus is still stable as well as
JW> verisigns own BindPlus...

JW> And so the saga continues....

JW> See:  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/15/1524247
JW> An anonymous reader writes "After [0] .COM and .NET started using a
JW> wildcard, the internet community busily started creating patches to
JW> various pieces of software to circumvent this. It was [1] said
JW> that this was a grave problem to the internet. Several
JW> [2]official BIND patches were [3] announced over the next
JW> few days. However, it turns out they weren't necessarily
JW> too well thought through. Usage of the patch
JW> unexpectedly [4] broke at least 7 Top Level Domains,
JW> ISC announced 3 weeks later, after users [5] started
JW> having problems. The [6].NAME registry has sent
JW> [7]a formal letter to ICANN's [8]Security and
JW> Stability Advisory Comittee to warn against using
JW> the BIND patch, which they will look into in their
JW> next meeting. The intention may have been good,
JW> but... Stability? Anyone?"

JW> Links:
JW>     0. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/16/0034210&tid=95
JW>     1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=106373300829218&w=2
JW>     2. http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html
JW>     3.
JW> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-announce&m=106378709918671&w=2
JW>     4.
JW> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-announce&m=106582817511646&w=2
JW>     5. http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg15431.html
JW>     6. http://www.nic.name/
JW>     7. http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gnr-to-secsac-13oct03.pdf
JW>     8. http://secsac.icann.org/

JW> Regards,

JW> --
JW> Jeffrey A. Williams
JW> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
JW> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
JW>     Pierre Abelard
JW> ===============================================================
JW> CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
JW> Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
JW> E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JW> Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----