Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on SiteFinder's Suspension

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on SiteFinder's Suspension
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:49:00 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chuck Gomes <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Dan halloran <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vittorio and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Your and the supposedly the "Statement" by the ALAC seems
simply parrot only a few of the ICANN staff and not the actual
opinions of the broad stakeholders/users and is also inaccurate
in stateing that Verisign forced the use of Site finder.  I hope
that the ALAC members are prepared to defend that statement
in court....

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> At Large Advisory Committee Statement on SiteFinder's Suspension
>
> The ALAC welcomes ICANN's decision to remind Verisign of its
> obligations to run its registries for the public good, and
> VeriSign's compliance with ICANN's demand to shut down SiteFinder.
>
> SiteFinder's suspension was necessary not only because it broke
> hundreds of specific applications, and because it was forced on
> Internet users around the globe without any advance consultation or
> notice: SiteFinder also needed to be stopped because it broke with
> the end-to-end architecture of the Internet to give one company
> monopolistic control of a resource in the center. It's not a
> contest between SiteFinder's search page and MSN's, but between
> giving VeriSign sole, centralized control of the error-handling
> for incorrect URLs and distributing that choice among users and
> applications at the edge of the network. The question is whether
> users can choose what services fit their needs best, or whether
> Verisign can take that choice away from users, forcing them to do
> what's best for Verisign's commercial benefit.
>
> Sitefinder affects not only the web, but most other applications
> running on the net.  The question here is whether the network is
> kept open for new protocols and applications, or whether it's left
> to Verisign to decide which applications the Internet supports well.
>
> Keeping SiteFinder out of the center leaves the greatest flexibility
> in the network for those who want to innovate by adding new
> protocols, services, and features at the ends.
>
> ICANN has called for "further evaluation and study" of the impact of
> SiteFinder. The proper question for VeriSign to consider is whether it
> will reimplement its advertiser-supported search as an option at the
> edge of the network -- where users can elect or decline to use it at
> their will -- or not at all.
>
> ====
> About the ALAC: The At Large Advisory Committee advises ICANN on the
> needs and interests of individual Internet users.
> More information can be found at http://alac.icann.org/
>
> --
> .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
> Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org
> http://bertola.eu.org/    <-- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblog!

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801