Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on SiteFinder's Suspension

  • To: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on SiteFinder's Suspension
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:50:14 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments below

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 1:25 PM

> I missed the discussion of the draft version of this statement.  Could you
> point me to the relevant archives please?

Pronouncements from ALAC are the output of a small group of people rustled
together by Denise Michel and the ICANN Board. None of the group has been
elected by individual users to represent them. Pronouncements come out of
the ether as if they are in the name of individual users, but where is the
individual membership? The elected spokespersons? The elected ALAC?

ALAC is part of ICANN. It purports to speak on behalf of individual internet
users, but it excludes individual internet users from its governance!

Until individual users can vote for their own ALAC representatives, ALAC is
just a sham.

Everything - the creation of ALAC, the selection of ALAC members, the
pronouncements on topics - comes from the top down.

The ICANN Board excluded the elected representatives of individual users
from its Boardroom. Now it excludes elected representatives of individual
users from ALAC's structure.

It's all one and the same agenda, which is to minimise the impact of the
individual users, because elected representatives could not be selected or
controlled.

These pronouncements from ALAC - from one or two individuals - are nothing
to do with the development of a genuine representative At Large movement.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson